Thursday, September 24, 2009

MSwift P.I. and the Case of the Missing Dog (Ch. 6)

Chapter Six




Eureka! I stop at the Melton Public Library, got a book on hair analysis; turns out the hairs I pulled from Donovan's squad car are....6:46 AM Aug 2nd from web

...poodle! Black hairs with a smattering of blood traces. Seems our boy Donovan has some explaining to do...6:47 AM Aug 2nd from web

I'm grabbing my trench coat and fedora and heading over to his place to pay him a visit. This time (unlike most times) I have evidence...6:48 AM Aug 2nd from web

@UnitedWayWells A fedora is a hat. I don't leave home without mine. It's brown. It belonged to my Uncle Joe. I've had it for years. Really.6:52 AM Aug 2nd from web in reply to UnitedWayWells

I just finished my route. Had an inspiration for a new flavor--"Real Rocks-Rocky Road" made w/ Terramin Clay; give 10% to Haitian poor...4:33 PM Aug 2nd from web

just an idea. I drove through another trailer park about 25 miles south of town. Once they made cars-now they produce stray dogs; economy=(4:34 PM Aug 2nd from web

I paid a visit to Officer Donovan earlier to day, but he was at the Conservation Club. Sharpening his guns no doubt...or knives or stuff...4:36 PM Aug 2nd from web

Instead I cruised around looking to sell some ice cream. I need to find some good neighborhoods, stocked with rich fat kids on low-cal diets4:37 PM Aug 2nd from web

Once I get to the motel, change clothes, I'm heading over to Donovan's tent to see what he has to say about the hairs I have on my dresser..4:39 PM Aug 2nd from web

My hairs-my hairs! The damn maid threw away my hairs! I called the desk to complain; they offered me the dumpster to search through discards5:14 PM Aug 2nd from web

I was up to my eyeballs in the stinking dumpster. tomorrow is trash day so it was full. Turns out, they hadn't thrown out that bag after all5:15 PM Aug 2nd from web

Desk clerk handed me the bag apologetically as I was sitting in the morning's rubbish. Now I really need a shower. and the microscope.5:16 PM Aug 2nd from web

no time to help @mswiftsmom have you looked for the plug/ you probably unplugged it when you plugged in your computer5:18 PM Aug 2nd from web

I hate to admit it, but Donovan is cleared. I paid him a visit this morning at the Melton Doughnut Shop. He said "let's step outside"1:07 PM Aug 4th from web

i expected a flurry of baton strikes and at least one Tasering...but instead I sat in his squad car as he cried like a baby...1:08 PM Aug 4th from web

"I would never do anything to hurt my Sweetie" he blubbered. "She is such a woman-a great woman; a big heart and I love her."1:09 PM Aug 4th from web

I told him I found hairs on his squad car i had identified as belonging to a canine...a black canine. Curly with traces of coloring...1:10 PM Aug 4th from web

He broke down again. "It was all a terrible mistake. I swear it! I swear!" he was sobbing like a giant with a splinter in his toe...1:11 PM Aug 4th from web

Donovan explained he had spent the night with Mrs. V, I begged him to spare me the details..."please."1:12 PM Aug 4th from web

He went on to say he got a midnight call to duty and hurried to his squad car. Not looking where he was going he threw the car in reverse...1:12 PM Aug 4th from web

...and backed right over Mitzy. "It made a sickening squishing sound," he said.1:13 PM Aug 4th from web

"I didn't even have time to check its pulse. I just chucked it into the backseat and headed to the scene."1:13 PM Aug 4th from web

"What about your K-9 unit?" i asked. He said it was in the kennel at the time. Anyway, he checked Mitzy later and she had a broken leg...1:14 PM Aug 4th from web

"Why didn't you tell Mrs. V?" I asked.1:14 PM Aug 4th from web

"Penelope would have been furious, Mr. Swift. She might have left me and I know I could never live without her," he said.1:21 PM Aug 4th from web

"So what did you do with the dog? And where is she now," I asked.1:22 PM Aug 4th from web

His bawling abated and his eyes opened wide. "I didn't do anything to her! I swear it! I brought her home until she was better..."1:29 PM Aug 4th from web

"I thought I'd keep her home, let Penelope think she was just lost, then i could find her and be the big hero for my Lovey-Dovey..."1:29 PM Aug 4th from web

Lovey-Dovey? I kept my mouth firmly shut else the puke escape it...1:34 PM Aug 4th from web

"So where is she now?" I asked, my mind firmly on the dog...the furry, black one.1:35 PM Aug 4th from web

"I don't know," he said. "I woke up and she was gone" Then the tears started again. For a brawny police sergeant, Donovan is a real cry-baby1:36 PM Aug 4th from web

He swore on his G.I. Joe collection that was all there was to it. Scaring me off his trail was a last ditch effort to keep himself out of it1:37 PM Aug 4th from web

Donovan started talking about his childhood and how he could never get that Queen song, "Fat-Bottomed Girls" out of his head...1:39 PM Aug 4th from web

When he started reaching into his wallet for pictures of Mrs. V in a nightie I excused myself from his squad car. He was still driving...1:40 PM Aug 4th from web

I rolled to a crumpled heap at the foot of a tall oak and lay for a while until I could clear my head. Then i retrieved my hat & sunglasses1:41 PM Aug 4th from web

and headed back to my room with a slight limp and a headache the size of Vancouver...if not Donovan, then who? and why?1:41 PM Aug 4th from web

I woke up this morning thinking I had the whole thing done. But I'm heading back to bed with more questions than answers..and bruises.1:42 PM Aug 4th from web

No comments:

Post a Comment